Thursday, April 12, 2012

Camino Day 10 - Vic to L'Estany

Today ended as I hoped it would...

The trail popped me out in L'Estany right in front of a restaurant (that was actually open - get into town after 3 and you are pretty much out of luck for food until 8pm).

The restaurant had "Hostal" in it's name, so I asked if they had a room, but the owner said no, that I needed to contact a "Casa Rural". She pulled out a brochure that had a phone number on it. I paused just long enough (I have learned this timing well by now) for her to offer to call for me. I replied with my favorite and most used word that works both in Catalan and Spanish -- Si.

I asked her if I could eat here, and she smiled, nodded, and pointed to an open table. I dropped into the chair with pleasure, ordered up some beer, sparkling mineral water, and selected from her verbally dictated menu the soup and BBQ chicken. While eating I reflected on the hike today...

The hike was described as easy, but I have learned that this grade describes how technical the route is, rather than the length or number of climbs.

Couldn't have asked for better weather today, clear skies and cool refreshing air. The path pushed up and out of the Vic valley, and provided a great view of the snow capped mountains to the north as I began to drop into L'Estany.

Got to walk with the cows today, all wearing their thick collars with bells. The lady cows are all sporting their horns here in Catalunya.

The trail was pretty quiet, only three mountain bikers heading the opposite direction.

Thought about some "heavy" cultural stuff that I have been noticing over the past few days (will save for a different post).

The feet felt better today with the day off yesterday, but I felt the right knee act up a bit for the first time on this trip. Nice to have the hiking poles to lend some support on the downhills.

The owner of the restaurant told me that she had left a message with the proprietor of the Casa Rural, and told me that they would call back. So, I pulled up a seat at the bar to free up my table for the lunch rush.

About 30 minutes later the bar owner introduced me to the proprietor of the Casa Rural. They both tried to explain some details to me in Spanish, but I only caught the fact that he would bring me to the Casa Rural, and something about 5pm, but I didn't get the details. So, I followed the man to the Casa Rural (just down the block) where he let me in, gave me the keys, and told me that his wife would be here at 5 to arrange my sleeping quarters (I finally understood, context means so much when you don't know another language very well). Would somebody just give a stranger the keys to their house in the States?

I plopped down on a couch in front of the fireplace and slept until his wife showed up. This very sweet lady showed me around the house, that I have all to myself. We completed the usual paperwork, passport details, and I settled the bill since I was leaving early in the morning. She showed me where the mail slot is so that I could lock up and deposit the keys, and we bid each other farewell.

I explored the small town a bit, bought some groceries for dinner, and did my reconnaissance for the morning of where the hiking path leaves the town.

I took some pics of the stone buildings (love the architecture here)!

Just ate my makeshift dinner for the night, two cans of tuna, potato chips, Estrella, and an orange and apple for dessert. Waiting to watch the Real Madrid football match at 9pm, hoping that they lose. Big rivalry here between Barca and Real Madrid, akin to the Red Sox and the Yankees in the States. I am a Red Sox fan, so it's only logical that I should be a Barca fan as well. If Real Madrid loses tonight, Barca will take the lead in La Liga (the Spanish Premiere league).

No WiFi, so I will post the pics when I can do so on the cheap.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment