Friday, April 13, 2012

Camino Day 12 - Just outside Artes to Montserrat

Longest day so far.
Farthest day so far.
Rainiest day so far.
Hottest day so far.
Most elevation climbed and descended day so far.
Felt the best day so far.
Felt the worst day so far.

You get the idea, today was the final day of the Camino St. Jaume, and it was ready for me.

The morning hike was awesome! Sunshine to start the day after thunder storms all night long. Saw a rainbow over Montserrat!

No traffic of hikers today, was hoping to see some people heading in my direction, but no luck today.

Pics of mostly me getting closer to Montserrat. The trail was up and down today, and definitely not the straightest route to the finish line (which pissed me off very much at the end of the day).

11 hours of non-stop up and down hiking today. Felt like throwing in the towel a couple of times during the last 3 hours of hiking, but there is no "Sag Wagon" on this trip for me. I am solo, make it to the finish, or sleep in the ditch. Believe me, sleeping in the ditch was an option considered very closely today. When you start to calculate how much water you have left, and start to look for that shady spot that could provide some rain cover.... Been there, done that on other trips. I brought along a thin sleeping bag and bivy bag that is waterproof. Been carrying those damn things on my back since Port Bou!

But alas, I didn't give up. I climbed my way up to the Monastery of Montserrat, and am spending the night in the Hostal Abat Cisneros. Thanks to the new woman that I have fallen in love with, Anna de Codorniu, the name of my favorite Cava (http://www.codorniu.es/cavas_detalle.html?id=cw438f20c45ff5a), I am pleasantly recovering from my traumatic days of events. ;-) Will have to give her up before returning to the States. Shush, don't tell Rosa about Anna!9

I plan to explore Montserrat more in the morning, but here are some pics of my journey today (the horses kept me company during lunch when I downed a carton of Gazpacho).

Cheers!





1 comment: