Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Camino Day 17 - Lekunberri to Lekunberri to Leitza

Yes, this was supposed to be a short day. From Lekunberri to Leitza is 15k. I took the Via Verde out of Lekunberri, but at the 5k mark was left with 3 options: take the road, take the tunnel, or take the trail around the tunnel. I chose the tunnel. It was a long one, and half way through was flooded. Didn't have my waterproof hiking boots (ditched those in Montserrat), I backtracked out of the tunnel.

For my second choice, I took the trail around the tunnel. This looked promising until it turned into a muddy mess. Concentrating on my footing for the next 15k, I was very surprised to look up and see a signpost for Lekunberri with 1.5k.

Yes, I had done a complete circle somehow. So, I hiked the 5k back to my 3 options, and took the road this time. 15k later I arrived in Leitza. I can't help but think that two old gentlemen that I came across on my first attempt tried to warn me, but one was hard of hearing (or couldn't understand my thick accent).

I am spending the night in Leitza, a border town (on the border with Navarra and the Basque territory). More and more Basque flags posted on balconies here. Funny to see the only Spanish flag on the Guardia Civil building.

Can't help but think that these roads were used by Miguel Indurain during his training (5 time Tour de France champion and favorite son of the Pamplona area -- a Basque as well).

Pics are a mix from the mistaken route, and from the town of Leitza.

Tomorrow, if I don't get lost, will be Andoain.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment