Sunday, April 8, 2012

Camino Day 7 - Sant Esteve D'en Bas to Cantonigròs

Can't believe all the work that went into building the old stone roads through the mountains here.

Another beautiful sunny morning, and the sun lasted all day today.

Found a hiking partner right at the start in the village of Els Hostalets d’en Bas. Josep owns a farm near Vic (my destination tomorrow), and drives a truck part-time. Josep completed the Camino Frances (St. Pied-de-Port to Santiago) last year. At 70 he did a great job kicking my butt up many mountains today.

Been hiking solo the past 6 days, was a bit strange to have to hike at a different pace and try to talk as well (if you call my caveman Spanish/Catalan/French talking). We were able to converse for the entire day, better than most married couples ;-)

Josep stopped to speak with every homeowner out in their yard, and even talked a farmer out in his field to walk us up a steep and confusing section with his dog to make sure we didn't lose our way. Josep always introduced me as the American who hiked here from Port Bou.

I treated Josep to lunch to thank him for the companionship today. Difficult to negotiate treating somebody and insisting on paying the bill when your (my) language skills are limited.

Josep struck up a conversation over lunch with a man at the next table eating alone. Turns out the man raises ducks, so Josep ordered duck for lunch, and the piece he forced onto my plate was delicious.

On the final road to L'Esquirol, we passed through the village of Cantonigròs. Very nice main street with a Hostal sign that my feet couldn't resist. Josep helped me inquire of the owner of availability, and as luck would have it one room was available on this busy holiday weekend. I didn't want to risk the next town not having any open rooms, so I took the room and bid Josep farewell. He had arranged for his wife to pick him up a few miles down the road.

Here is a pic of Josep at the top of one of our climbs today.

No comments:

Post a Comment